THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

the avg "Stay at home mommy" salary

Since I am fairly new to the "stay at home mom" job, I have found it to be quite rigorous, detailed, messy, but too rewarding to want to quit!
I have held a job out in the "real world" since I was 14 yrs old. I have done everything from working as an exec administrator to project management to selling insurance and well cant forget my 1st job, selling men's construction boots. I always woke up to an alarm running out the door quickly to finish applying my mascara & lip gloss in the car. I have always been greeted by fellow employees eager to tell me about upcoming weekend plans & make jokes about the past weekend plans. Aaahhh but once I was up, dressed in my finest & said my hello's it was time to focus and strive for a productive workday, oh with a lunch break thrown in and a few 15 min breaks here & there, OooHhhh the "Real World"
Now bc I have 2 very small children & my husband is in medical school all day & night living on a student loan, I can't afford the cost of daycare for my 2 beautiful boys. The only reasonable idea I could think of is to take on this stay at home mommy job and do it the best I can, I mean how hard can it be, I have been a working woman for 15 yrs!!!!
Well, those are words I can eat.
Now I do not wake up to alarm, instead I wake up to my 3 yr old driving a car up my leg saying uh-oh mommy, I had an accident! and my 1yr old screaming his morning ritual plea to be released from his crib.
Forget about the mascara & lipgloss, I am lucky if I get to brush my hair before noon.
There is no more adults around to tell me funny jokes or tell me stories of the past weekends escapades... Now I usually only hear voices of animated cartoon characters teaching me my abc's & 123's.
Oh & a lunch break, or any break in general, just throw that one out the window. You have no one to call in sick too & if you want a vacation well then you better be prepared to pack a million things for your 2 kids and make that vacay very kid friendly!
I have never worked so hard before in my life, no job has ever required so many skills & so much of my time!
But No other job has ever given me or can give me the love, Joy, & laughter that my new "stay at home mommy" job does! i wouldn't trade this time for anything in the world :)
I did however find this interesting article to help calculate the wages I am due for all my work, so I figure if I "need" to buy a pair of shoes or cute purse, it is totally justified! Just look at all the money I have saved the family, lol

What mothers are really worth
Stay-at-home mothers wear many hats. They're the family CEO, the day care provider, accountant, chauffeur, counselor, chef, nurse, laundress, entertainer, personal stylist, and educator. Based on a 90-hour work week, Salary.com has estimated that a fair wage for the typical stay-at-home mom would be well over $90,000 for executing all of her daily tasks. Factor in overtime, and the appropriate salary takes a leap of around $25,000.

"Mothers are responsible for the mental and physical well being of the family - putting a price on that isn't easy," said Lena Bottos, compensation market analyst for Salary.com. "But we looked at it as what you would have to pay other people to do the same work if the mom weren't there."

Even if these mothers were getting paid what they'd be worth on the market, Bottos added that they still wouldn't be adequately compensated. "When you take into account that it represents a 90-hour workweek, and doesn't even begin to factor in that they are on call 24 hours a day, it's not so large. Plus, stay-at-home moms get no benefits in terms of pension or 401(k)."

Mom jobs

Job title
Annual salary
Child Day Care Worker
$20,259
Teacher
$44,824
Taxi Driver
$27,346
Facilities Manager
$73,239
Short-order Cook
$27,477
Laundry Attendant
$17,917
Janitor
$22,440
Counselor
$27,638
CEO
$545,268
Administrative Assistant III
$37,143
Accounting Clerk III
$34,842
Licensed Practical Nurse
$38,111
Plumber I
$33,155
Automotive Mechanic I
$30,725
Cake Decorator
$21,340

J

0 comments: